Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A Story To Tell

I've always said that my childhood was so dysfunctional, because we(my family) were so functional. My family was your average middle class family. Nothing too scandalous to tell........ I had a very sheltered life. Except for that one thing that happened when I was four........But we'll get to that later.

It seems that my story begins the year that I graduated from high school.....At least a story that is interesting enough to tell. But hold that thought.....Let me back up for a moment.

For years, I've been told that I should write a book about my life. It seems a little narcissistic to me, and I truthfully have a hard time with it. There are people with far worse stories.....more tragic lives, trust me. However, I still have a story to tell.....My story. We all have a story to tell, don't we? For many reasons, I have not done so. First, it was too painful for me to think about....re-live, let alone write about. Secondly, I've held onto my story very closely. I've felt almost like if I let it go, that somehow these things would not belong to me any longer. Also, I didn't want to "out" myself. It was safer for me to pick and choose who I told, and how much I told them. Like any good story, I too have the good, the bad, and the ugly.

However, I know that I need to let it go, in hopes that it might help someone else. By sharing, I can "free" myself, tell my story, and most importantly.......connect with others who may have similar stories. If there is one thing that I have learned, it is that we think that we are so different.....But really, we are all the same. I was encouraged by some amazing friends of mine (you know who you are:) to start a blog for this purpose. I have chosen to remain anonymous to protect myself and my family. Also, names will be changed to protect the innocent......and the guilty. I'm not even sure at this point if I will blog chronologically, or not. My story is ongoing too......I'm still learning and growing.

I hope you will join me.......I have a story to tell...........

No comments:

Post a Comment